Thursday, December 31, 2009
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
(woot woot! 3 out of 4 is pretty good! :])
I hope this all makes sense.. I had to look around the website and get set up before I fully understood everything (then again, I'm kinda slow sometimes ;]). But check it out! My username there is kuhrisuh, so add me if you'd like a supporter!
Monday, December 28, 2009
By Raphael Calzadilla, B.A., CPT, ACE
Updated: Sunday, April 9, 2006
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein
What if you suddenly found out that every workout you’ve been doing for months and months was unsafe, inefficient and graphically illustrated in the imaginary encyclopedia of bone head exercises?
We tend to look at certain areas on our body with disgust and anxiety. We look for quick fixes and the magical exercise that will solve all of our problems. That’s why infomercials sell “5 minute exercise solutions,” and love to prey on our weak emotional states and lack of knowledge related to physiology. Let’s get to the point: There are exercises that just plain stink. They’re inefficient, have a high injury risk and provide practically zero benefit.
The following list of exercises may surprise you. Consider your surprised reaction a step in the right direction. Here’s my top 10 most ineffective exercises list: This is by no means an exhaustive list - there are a lot more.
1. Adductor Machine -- The adductor machine is the exercise unit that you sit in while placing the inner part of your legs against a pad. You then push the legs toward each other, with the goal of reducing your inner thighs. Maybe you perform 20, 30 or even more reps to affect the area. This exercise will not reduce your inner thighs. You’d need enough resistance to create an impact on the muscle, so more than 15 reps aren’t going to accomplish anything. More importantly, it’s not the best range or plane of motion (direction) to affect the inner thigh.
2. Abductor Machine -- The abductor machine is the opposite of the adductor. In this case, you sit in the machine and place the outer part of your legs against a pad. You then push your legs away from each other, in the hopes of reducing your outer thigh area. Pushing the legs outward accomplishes very little for the outer thigh. Again, the plane of motion is ineffective. You say you can feel this machine? I can also feel my chest muscles if I perform a dumbbell press very slowly with a pair of five pound dumbbells, but that doesn’t mean it’s accomplishing my goal. There’s more to the puzzle than just feeling it.
3. Standing or Bent Over Twist -- Ever see someone in the gym with a broomstick behind their head twisting endlessly from left to right? The person mistakenly assumes that twisting for hundreds of reps will shrink the waist and decrease the size of the oblique muscles (love handles). This movement inefficiently affects the spinal erectors and places stress on ligaments. It provides no slimming effect on the “love handles”.
4. Upright Rows -- In this exercise, one grasps a barbell with hands approximately four inches apart, with palms facing the body. Standing in an upright position, the bar is pulled all the way up to the neck. The objective is to strengthen the upper trapezius muscles (the muscles at the base of the neck).
Internationally known research scientist, Michael Colgan, refers to this as a “bone head exercise,” in his book, The New Power Program, and I totally agree. The exercise puts undue stress on the very sensitive rotator cuff muscles of the shoulder and can easily cause injury.
5. Side Bends -- Grasping dumbbells and bending side to side in the hopes that the oblique muscles (love handles) will shrink, may actually make the area larger if you use heavy enough dumbbells. Is that what you want? Toss this exercise out the window. The only thing that’s going to get those ‘love handles” smaller is reducing overall body fat through cardiovascular exercise, brisk weight training and last but not least, a calorie reduced diet.
6. Behind The Neck Lat Pulldowns for the Back -- Performing this cable pulldown movement puts unnecessary stress on the rotator cuff muscles of the shoulders. I can’t begin to count the number of people who’ve experienced injuries from this and any behind the neck movement.
7. Shoulder Press Behind Neck -- Not only is this an unstable position, but it can lead to inflammation, pain in the shoulder and major rotator cuff injuries. The shoulder joint is extremely complex and much like the knee joint, easily prone to injuries. Lifting an object over the head while it sits behind the neck isn’t even a functional (every day) movement.
8. Straight Legged Sit Ups -- Performing straight legged sit ups (knees locked and extended) puts a lot of stress on the lower spine, and the jerky type movement required to lift from the floor can result in injury. According to Wayne Westcott, PhD., Fitness Research Director at the South Shore YMCA in Boston, "in a routine where any abdominal exercise movement places stress on the back, the risks outweigh the potential benefits.”
9. Seated Rotation Machine --These machines are found in gyms and people use them in the hopes of shrinking the waist line. In fact, you’ll usually see people rotating left and right on these machines for hundreds of repetitions. It does not shrink the waist and can place a great deal of pressure upon the ligaments of the spine.
10. Cardiovascular Exercise: More than 60 Minutes -- I realize you want to lose the most amount of fat in the least amount of time. I can understand that, but if the body can only lose up to two pounds of fat per week before it begins destroying muscle, why are you working out as if you’re attempting to lose five pounds per week? I generally recommend working at a capacity of 70 to 80 percent of your target heart rate. If you’re performing cardio more than 60 minutes at this level of intensity, you’re on a collision course for muscle loss. If you think it’s not important, you may want to re-consider.
I’ve seen people lose well over 100 pounds and lose it very, very fast. They did everything possible to lose weight (fat and muscle), as opposed to losing only fat and sparing muscle. The result is a soft and flabby looking body. Yes, they lost the 100 pounds, but did it in the most inefficient manner possible. The key to your success is not searching for an exercise that will reduce a trouble spot. It’s finding the most efficient exercises that will strengthen the area. Then, the combination of reduced calories, cardiovascular exercise and consistency does the rest of the work.
Raphael Calzadilla has over 14 years of experience as a personal trainer and bodybuilder, earned his B.A. in Communications from Southern Connecticut State University; is certified with ACE, APEX and successfully completed the RTS1 program based on biomechanics.
Anyway, I still like it. I just did my best to pick out the biggest chunks of meat. It also has eggs, cheese, and peppers.. yum!
- Lower calorie than similar breakfast sandwiches
- Comes with 2 per box
- 16g of protein
- Turkey meat
- Not as filling as other breakfast options (but I still wasn't left hungry)
Sunday, December 27, 2009
PS - Yesterday Old Navy was having a sale on jeans ($15!!) so I went to try to find some as mine are getting a tiny bit too loose. Aaaannnndd... I fit into 16s!! :) I didn't end up buying any, but the fact that I fit into them was enough. I'm gettin' there!
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Monday, December 21, 2009
*Nutrition goals are calculated for when I'm working out 5-6 days/week. So I will be aiming for below these goals until I start again. (I should be able to around Jan. 8th)
I'm not sure that this weeks loss is completely legit because my diet has been anything BUT normal since my gallbladder was taken out. But I'm taking it. I need somethin to feel good about! :)
I'm feeling better each day and will be back to posting more interesting stuff soon! Till then I'm enjoying catching up on all of your blogs :). Have a wonderful day!
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Yesterday and today are running together for me.. I had my surgery yesterday morning but it feels like it was this morning! I think because I've been sleeping for the majority of both days. I'm still really sore, but they gave me some pain medicine that seems to be working pretty well. My mom and sisters brought me the cards & flowers and my love has been taking such good care of me :).
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
*These target numbers are for when I'm working out 5 days a week, so I should technically be aiming for under these #s until I start working out again.
[went over, went under, goal met]
I may have a snack before bed if I get hungry.. if so it'll be a yogurt. I hope you've all had a good day!
I just found this article and thought I'd share. Pretty interesting!!
This brings up a topic of debate: aliens. Or other life forms besides our own. Do you think they exist?
Personally, I think the "alien" that the media has portrayed over the years - big head, small eyes, green, etc - COULD be real, but it seems more likely that ETs look completely different than humans, as they would have to live somewhere where the climate is completely different. Ya know?
I will say that I'm one of those people who has to see it to believe it. But at the same time it's like, how is it possible that out of all the millions and billions of other planets and solar systems out there, we are the only one with life?
Just my thoughts :). So yeah - what do you think?
PS - I'm not trying to offend anyone or get into a hardcore debate about this, just wanted to share my opinion and see what all my wonderful followers think! :)
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Monday, December 14, 2009
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/3 cup milk
Cajun seasoning to taste
salt to taste
Sunday, December 13, 2009
And the verdict is...
Friday, December 11, 2009
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
I only ever watched the first episode of the season of Biggest Loser that just ended.. but I did catch the last 30 minutes of the finale.. and all I can say is, WOW. Wow wow wow. Everyone looked SO good! Most were unrecognizable. Nothing gets a girl motivated like the Biggest Loser does! You can check out the before/after pictures from all the contestants here :).
I bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred from walmart.com. I'll do a review on it once I start it. From what I've read & heard, it's a really good, hard workout. I'm glad I'll have it to use as my workout during winter break!
I hope you've all been staying healthy! Talk to you soon!
Sunday, December 6, 2009
The other news that isn't so good: I have to have my gallbladder taken out. On Thursday I have the consultation with the surgeon and I guess that's when we'll schedule the actual procedure. I've never had surgery or anything before so I'm nervous.. but I'm so happy that we caught it & it's getting taken care of. I can't wait to see what my tummy feels like afterwords! The nurse said it would feel TONS better. For now I'm just trying to eat better than I have been the past 2 weeks and rest. I don't know when I'll be able to get back to the gym 100% again, but I'll be ready!
After my appt with the surgeon yesterday, he wanted me to get another ultra sound of my gb. So I did that this morning, and was finally able to schedule the surgery. It will be on December 18th.. I wish it were sooner, but at least now I have a date. I hate not being able to workout as hard as I want to!
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Look what I woke up to this morning!!
It hasn't snowed this much here in a long time - and it's still coming down! I'm really excited! I probably wont be once I have to drive in it, but I love it right now! Ha ;).
I have NOT been eating well or exercising this week.. UGH. C'mon, Carissa, GET IT TOGETHER.
I have a paper to write and plenty of studying to do, so I'm gonna get on that.. I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!
Friday, November 27, 2009
I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was just as fun and delicious as mine was! In the morning the boo & I went to his grandma's house and in the evening we went to my mom's. I can tell you that I didn't over eat but I ate what I wanted. I'm not gonna weigh in this week because of said holiday.. I think it will be best for me mentally, haha! I know today is Photo Friday.. so just in case you are in need of a pic-fix, here's me & my honey!
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Yay! Only 7 more pounds until I'm out of the 2-teens! :] I'm looking forward to a good week.. sorry I've been a bit behind on posting lately.. I've been so bogged down with tests & studying for finals. Give me like 2 more weeks and I'll be back with a bang (I'll still be posting, as much as I can!)! Thanksgiving is next week & I'm so excited! I'm going to try to cook something for each lunch/dinner we go to, and I'm gonna try to make it HEALTHY! So I guess we'll see how that goes..! I have some pictures of a baked okra recipe that I tried out last night.. the recipe is under the Healthy Recipes section, and I'll post those pics in a little bit!
Today I'm moving a couch into my living room and going to help Ean's mom move a table... so a tiny workout! Then I think I'm gonna relax with the boo & enjoy the weekend :). I hope you do too!