Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Health NSV?

Monday, February 22, 2010

 

I haven't really spent much time blogging about the health issues that go along with being overweight. I thank God every day for my & my loved one's health. I don't think I've ever mentioned this, because it's kind of uncomfortable to talk about, but I figure I might as well just in case anyone else is going through the same thing.

I started my period in the 6th grade (and cried because I didn't want to have to become a "woman" - heck, I still wanna be a kid forever! lol). It has never been normal as far as having monthly cycles goes; I usually have about 2 a year. I've been to the doctor for it a few times, and at the most recent visit the Dr. told me that as long as the tests came back good (they did!) then I don't have anything to worry about. She told me that some women just don't have monthly periods. I was also told at a different appointment that it's likely my body isn't ovulating, which made me sad because I would like to have children in the future. Annnnyyyyyyway.. last month I got my period on the 17th. This month, around the 18th/19th, my tummy started cramping and FEELING like I was going to start.. and in the days since I've been WAY emotional. Then, today... I started! For me, it's both a happy thing (I feel much more at ease when my body does what it's supposed to) and a sad thing (simply because I don't enjoy being on my period, lol).

I wanted to share this because I've read/heard from different sources that being overweight can cause irregularities in the menstrual cycle. Now that I'm eating better, moving more, and losing weight, maybe my body is adjusting and starting to become more regular?? I'm not sure if I will start having one every month now or not, but I'm glad that I'm having one for the 2nd month in a row :).


Sorry if that was too much! If anyone else is going through problems with health issues related to weight, I think this should give us hope that if we work hard, we can turn it all around and become TRULY healthy.


-C a R i S s A  ;]

8 HUGS:

BEE said...

its true
same thing happened to me when i was overweight they hurt more and i never got them regularly now
they hardly hurt and they are just normal part of life and now i know why skinny girls care less when they have there TOM lol

Ellen said...

You are definitely on your way to becoming a healthier you. Maybe this is just one of the benefits. Hope you experience many other positive changes in your life.

Meg said...

I'm having that problem with my menstrual cycles too--they've never been regular, but I've noticed, the more weight I gain, the more irregular they are. It's really been upsetting me, but it's good to know that someone else had the same problem and that losing the weight could fix this!

Anonymous said...

I didn't cry when I got it I was just annoyed by it! lol

I have hypothyroidism, I found out about it almost 3 years ago. I started taking the meds and it took a while to get my levels regulated, once they did I started having regular periods for only a couple of months then I got pregnant (yes it took almost 2 years to get my levels regulated). So now that I'm not pregnant so far my periods have been pretty regular (3 going on 4 months now) but I'm also on BC to help regulate it as well. Did your docs check for hypothyroid? The docs also told me that was why I wasn't able to get pregnant sooner. Maybe that's what they mean by you not ovulating. I hope and pray that's not the case for you (not being able to have a child naturally). *hugs* I'm glad you are seeing healthy progress since you've done so well and you definitely deserve it.

Oh, I got my "little black dress" in the mail today! I can't wait to be able to fit into it and feel good in it.

Julia said...

Thank you for posting this.

My period is crazy. I used to have extreme pain - like run to the ER because I thought I was dieing pain. Then I went on birth control and had too many side-effects from many different pills. I gave up and went back to being "natural."

My period has been pretty regular for the last year. .. . until this month. It's almost 3 weeks late.

Hmmm. . . our crazy bodies.

Julia
http://jewliagoulia.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I have PCOS so I'm used to irregularity! But, when I lose weight, things do get regular which is awesome. I think it's something to celebrate when your body finds it's groove - that's awesome! It's wonderful!

Tania said...

I gave you the Sunshine award over on my blog. Check it out. http://theroadbacktobeingme.blogspot.com/2010/03/awards.html

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :]