Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

12 Days of Powerfoods - Day 1

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

*Almonds & Other Nuts*

Power: Builds muscle, helps to fight food cravings
Weapons: Protein, monounsaturated fats, vitamin E, folate (in peanuts), fiber, magnesium, phosphorus
Fight against: Obesity, heart disease, muscle loss, cancer
Sidekicks: Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, avocados
Posers: Salted or smoked nuts (high sodium spikes blood pressure).


Almonds are the best of the best,
but all nuts are high in protein
and can help you to feel full.


Tip to try: Spray 2 handfuls of almonds (skin intact) with nonstick cooking spray & bake at 400 degrees F for 5-10 minutes. Then sprinkle them with a brown sugar & cinnamon mix - yum!

How I ate it today: I put almonds in my trail mix (you can find the recipe by clicking the "Recipe" link at the top of the page) and had that for a snack :).



Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27054206/ns/today-today_health/?pg=2#TDY_MH_12PowerFoods




1 comment

Anonymous said...

I love all kinds of nuts! I'm a nutty person! Sometimes I exceed myself though! :(

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :]