Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

12 Days of Powerfoods - Day 7

Thursday, August 20, 2009

*Turkey and Other Lean Meats*Powers: Building muscle, improving the immune system
Weapons: Protein, iron, zinc, creatine (beef), omega-3 fatty acids (fish), vitamins B6 (chicken and fish) and B12, phosphorus, potassium
Fight against: Obesity, mood disorders, memory loss, heart disease
Sidekicks: Shellfish, Canadian bacon, omega-3 rich flaxseed
Posers: Sausage, bacon, cured meats, ham, fatty cuts of steak like T-bone and rib eye

Researchers in Stockholm found
that men who ate no fish had three
times the risk of prostate cancer
of those who ate it regularly.


According to the article (linked below), Mayo Clinic researchers studying the diets of two African tribes found that the tribe that ate fish frequently had leptin levels nearly five times lower than the tribe that primarily ate vegetables. Leptin is a hormone that influences your bodies metabolism; the higher your leptin levels, the quicker your body burns fat.

How I ate it today:
This is where I have my biggest problem. I don't eat meat much, except for the occasional burger and chicken. Most times I just don't eat it at all. I'm probably borderline vegetarian, but I love grilled chicken salads :). Anyway, the boo and I might hit up a salad bar tonight, but I usually can't make myself eat the chicken at salad bars. Maybe I'll see if we can go to Montana Mike's or something, cuz their chicken salads are the besssst!




Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27054206/ns/today-today_health/?pg=8#TDY_MH_12PowerFoods

1 comment

Anonymous said...

That looks good! Yeah, I eat more chicken than meat too! tastes better!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :]